Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Reason I'm Actually Here

As promised this time I thought I'd talk a bit about my project (not just my fun adventures) and how I've gotten started on defining what I'm doing here in Shanghai. It's not all fun travels and exploring the city. In fact, I find I'm spending a lot more time on "research-related activities" than I expected. I put that in quotes because at the same time I love reading articles and websites related to my project. I guess that's a good thing--makes it seem not like work.

So for those who are unclear on what I am actually doing here (probably in part because I had a hazy idea myself when I talked to many of you about it), my proposal for this Fellowship was for me to spend a year meeting with architects, engineers, policymakers, and businessmen to learn about the challenges associated with green buildings and the concept of a sustainable city, or eco-city. There are a lot of these projects planned worldwide and a lot of buzz about the idea of making a city which has next to zero impact with regard to water, energy, waste, and carbon, so I wanted to learn what's so hard about it, to put it bluntly. I understand a bit about the economics and technological side of these buildings and cities, so I am more interested in how the politics and social factors played out in different countries. Furthermore, by visiting multiple countries, I am curious to see what comparisons can be drawn and see if there are practices, policies, or precedents that could work across nations. I know that sounds like a very big, vague topic to address in a year, and that's why I was a bit hazy on just how I was going to attack it. However after just a couple of meetings with experts here, I have a much better sense of how to go about at least the China part of the project.

I started about a week and a half ago by meeting with an Environmental Studies professor in Nanjing and then this past week sat down with Mark Evans, Technical Director of the Joint U.S. China Collaboration on Clean Energy (JUCCCE), and then Dr. Pan Tao and Dr. Mel Rice from the Institute on Sustainable Cities (ISC). What emerged from all of these talks was just how different the regulations, practices, and general thinking about sustainability and construction are from the U.S. I'll highlight a few of the main ideas from these conversations. First, the massive growth in the urban centers of China has left the government and developers in a position where "sustainable development" literally means being able to keep up the pace of development. Combine this with the fact that there are nowhere near enough government inspectors to actually enforce codes, and you have buildings like the one in which I live where after 5 years, the building appears as though it is 20 years old or more. Buildings often fail to meet minimum code standard and once built have little incentive for upgrades. The Director from JUCCCE mentioned that in apartments like these, typically the company which does the construction has no influence on the sale of the apartments in the building so sees no premium from better construction. Instead to turn a better profit they may have incentives to cut corners. Once the apartments are sold, the building owner no longer deals with the energy, gas, and water related aspects of the building. Because housing is in such demand and there is a huge real estate bubble, this means that the owner of the building has little incentive to install energy efficient heating, cooling, and lighting, which also has a cost premium. They don't pay the bills, and they can sell the apartment at a high price in the market without these added features. Since they have no stake in the savings from these units and they probably can't get the return on the investment from sales alone there is even less incentive for using central units. As a result, if you walk around Shanghai you will see apartments, offices, and even stores having banks of window or free standing air conditioners. I guess one positive is that the people who eventually inhabit the apartments are very frugal. You see people often just sitting in shorts with no shirt fanning themselves to beat the heat rather than turn on the air conditioner. I guess it is one way to be energy efficient, though a bit of insulation rather than just cement and rebar walls might help make the most out of the A/C when it's on. I've yet to see a report which thoroughly discusses what the impact of adding insulation would be on energy bills, comfort level, and emissions reductions for those who do use air conditioning. One thing is for sure though--if the trend of increasing energy use here continues as citizens aspire to live the same way Americans and Europeans do, then the issue of inefficient building envelopes and systems will become a big problem. A little investment now in some choice efficiency measures on older buildings could make a big difference in the long run.

One other thing emerged in the conversations I had. It seems that many of these sustainable building and city ideas, unsurprisingly, are driven by foreign firms and wealthy Chinese firms and citizens looking to make an impression. Appearance is everything in China--you want to maintain a good face for those around you, and apparently some involved in international business see "going green" as a way of boosting their appearance. I was told by everyone I talked with that there is not an awareness on a general level about the benefits and importance of efficiency. In fact one article I read quoted a resident of Shanghai as saying their idea of ecological living was a place with more trees and bushes. While that is nice, it underscores the idea that there is not the same penetration of knowledge about environmental issues as there is in America or Europe. That's not surprising, but I wonder how it compares to a nation like Kenya where schools are awarded prizes for environmental conservation. The Expo and the Olympics have helped to bring environmental issues more to the forefront of the Chinese consciousness as have international negotiations in which China has played a large role. But the folks I met with agree that there is still a general lack of awareness. I'm not quite sure why this is since Emma indicated that care for nature and the environment is endorsed by the major religions and philosophies which originated in ancient China, but I will endeavor to learn more.

These posts always end up being longer than I intend when I start them, but I hope they're enjoyable for everyone reading. The next two days I'll be attending a conference on the use of technology in urban planning, design, and city life. It should be fascinating, and I'll provide a brief update on that next time as well as more photos and some recent adventures.

4 comments:

  1. I live in Shanghai, right on the Suzhou Creek near the Shanghai Railway Station. It's one of those apartment blocks I talked about in my first post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fascinating behind-the-scenes of your research!!! Very interesting to hear about the inconsistency between what one would expect to be infused through their religious teachings and the actual knowledge that is passed on to them... Also made me smile to think that just making inefficiency really expensive could result in a more sustainable lifestyle. ;)

    ReplyDelete